October 12, 2017
How Would You Deal with Sexual Harassment in Your Workplace?
Watch the video and read through the brief notes below.
How common is sexual harassment?
- More than one quarter 28% have experienced sexual harassment in the workplace.
What is the gender divide?
- The numbers are higher for women, but men are affected too: 43% and 12%.
- One-quarter of those who are harassed say that management was unresponsive or dismissive of the issue.
What is it really about?
- Power, entitlement and a deficit of empathy.
- Effects: emotional for individual and witnesses; organizational (toxic workplace, decline in productivity etc.)
Donna Karan says they’re asking for it.
- By the way we dress we’re “asking for trouble”? So the dresses she designs — are they harassment-proof? Or are her dresses also equipping us to “ask for it”? This is absurd. I understand that she has since apologized in response to the backlash.
How can we reduce sexual harassment?
- Institutional level: policies and real training that examines the outcome.
- Individual level: if you see something, say something. Show support.